Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: Esser's Build

Default Re: Esser's Build

Thanks for the confidence boost TJ. Hopefully I am doing it right haha.

I got the other wing done tonight. I still have to do under the tank but I cant find my curved needle....

My advice to anyone about to lib lace is to put bandaids on the top side of your pointer finger and on the bottom side of your pinky. You want those laces tight and you pull on those points A LOT. It will save you some very sore fingers.

Back at er.

I laced under my number 2 rib with my curved needle. I thought the tip needed a bit tighter radius so i tried to bend it and it snapped off. However, I still made it work, it just made a bit larger holes as it didn't come out exactly beside the rib.

Once everything was laced up, I put a coat of primer on to prep for taping.

I cut the fabric with a razor a little bit so I made a tiny patch to cover it that extends 1/2" past the tear. The rib tape probably would have covered it but I didn't want it to be too close to the edge.

My thoughts on using the Endura product so far are:

It's a bit slower as the primer takes a longer time to dry than polybrush. I could probably push it more if I wanted to but it needs a full night at least in the temps I am working in.

It is a very permanent system. This is great for when the plane is finished but if you make a mistake and you don't notice it until it is fully dry, there is no ironing anything down, it is extremely hard to sand, and MEK does NOTHING. So after you finish for the day and wait for everything to dry, you need to go over everything with a critical eye. If you have some runs or thicker areas, the MEK will take care of that then. I am interested to see how it will go with the finishing tapes. My tiny patch plinked edges stuck down fine but that is a tiny thing. If I didn't already have the tapes, I would go with straight cut tapes.

It is completely opaque. If I stick a large halogen light on one side, I cannot see any existing holes, lacing needle, etc. Very good for UV, annoying when you forgot to solder out your holes before you put the primer on the rib.

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    Back at er.

I laced under my number 2 rib with my curved needle. I thought the tip needed a bit tighter radius so i tried to bend it and it snapped off. However, I still made it work, it just made a bit larger holes as it didn't come out exactly beside the rib.
    I always found using upholstery needles frustrating when rib lacing. With the challenges we find as we work around internal structures,The logical solution, as you suggest, would be needles that could be bent as needed. Not available in the real market, the only solution was to a do it yourself project. I used coat hanger wire hammered flat on the eye end and a very fine drill with some help from some extremely fine tapered Dremel burs. Fine sanding disks or a fine file finished the job.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Heating the needles to dull red will take the temper out of them. Then you can bend them as needed without braking. They will still be strong enough to poke through fabrics. If you don't have a torch, use a gas stove or gas bar b que.

John

Thanks for the tips guys. I have been wanting to get my tapes on but my wife is fixing her car in the garage right now so I have no room to move...

Good to hear from you John. I haven't seen you post in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by jtpitkin06 View Post
    Heating the needles to dull red... without braking.

John
    Breaking / braking, don't you just love spell checkers?

I just thought you meant gas on with no braking!

I made my own needles from welding filler rod. Flatten and drill one end and grind to a point the other. Bend as needed.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    I just thought you meant gas on with no braking!

I made my own needles from welding filler rod. Flatten and drill one end and grind to a point the other. Bend as needed.
    That's what I did too. I made a sharp one for poking initial holes, and one's with blunt ends, which I found better for probing & finding the holes on the other side.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Well, as is typical of my build, I got into the garage after the Christmas break turned into over 6 weeks.

Natalie's car had a timing belt issue so she took over my garage to replace it. Then Christmas happened. After that I lost my momentum.

We got the chordwise finishing tapes on the bottom of the wings. We taped the tapes to the trailing edge, wet underneath, and then pushed the primer through the tape. I found put the tapes on to be quite enjoyable.

I covered 8 of my friends tail surfaces this week for his two projects and even though I am better at covering small technical surfaces, I don't feel like doing mine now haha.

Well 3 months later than planned, I got the covering on the wings done. I'll still call that a win haha.

The wings are going to leave the garage and now the fuselage will come back in to fit the cowls and then cover. After that, it's painting time. I'm fitting the cows right away so that we can paint everything at once.