Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baggage compartment the Arizona Way.

Default Re: Baggage compartment the Arizona Way.

As of right now, I have all my paperwork ducks with the FAA all in a row and the plane is "finished". I'm just waiting for a weather window that will allow me to work on the plane outdoors.

I'm hoping to do at least a first run of the engine this weekend. Maybe more...

Empty weight came out a little heavier than I wanted but still acceptable at 703.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

My plane is registered as An Advanced Ultralight in Canada, (what the light sport was supposed to copy) so once I get her recovered I get to say when the plane can get in the air No FAA. Your plane looks great. Good luck with your progress. I look forward to seeing her. Maybe Oshkosh, maybe factory flyIn. Let us all know when she flys.
    Norm

This is another shot of the baggage compartment from the front. Lots of room for tents, sleeping bags and all the necessary items for a little plane camping.
    Attached Images Attached Images

How do you take it out if you need to work on something underneath like mixer assembly or elevator pushrod?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

All accessable just by removing the seat.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I feel sort of compelled to mention this. The thought began a week or so ago when my wife was discussing her CQ - Continuing Qualification coming up at United Airlines. She had mentioned something about the seat belt demonstration prior to every take off in a commercial airplane - how strictly the instructors were demanding each candidate perform during the testing procedures. The topic then went to talk about our rather hard emergency landing that put our seat belts to the real test.

The pictures of the baggage sack shows clearly the very poor positioning of the right - pilot and left - passenger attachments for the shoulder straps. The center lug is almost useless for keeping the respective shoulder harness straps equally positioned behind pilot and passenger. Recognizing that early on as frequent need to reposition the strap became frustrating while flying my first IV, I had made straps that would go between the shoulder straps across the chest. In our hard landing (Crash), my nylon cross strap was destroyed - literally torn apart - shredded, while my wife's held firm. It was her mention of her belief that that strap saved her from more serious injury is what prompted this discussion.

I would strongly suggest in the early Kitfox models something that would secure those straps across the chest. In my present airplane, there were some contemporary builders who were modifying the structure behind the seats for baggage sack access and other reasons. I doubt what I chose to do would be practical for most builders or even desirable in some minds, but the strap issue was eliminated.

The picture shows the mods. First, all the cross braces were cut out. Then the bracing structure of the skylight was essentially duplicated behind the seats with new shoulder strap anchors placed exactly centered behind pilot and passenger. Not seen is the tube welded behind each attachment point and running aft to the outside corners of the Turtle deck opening to resist impact forces.

Just a thought.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel