Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: New aluminum radiator

Default New aluminum radiator

Has anyone painted, or otherwise treated their new Kitfox-built aluminum radiator?
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Default Re: New aluminum radiator

I painted my brothers aluminium radiator.
    It got a phosphoric acid wash,carboline 504 two pack primer then was shot with carboline CB 900 black,still looks like new.
    An alternative would be Resine black durapox( an excellent self priming epoxy eurethane hybrid and also a satin finish)

Default Re: New aluminum radiator

Thanks Dusty! I've been doing a little research and found out that a lot of classic & antique car buffs will paint the new aluminum radiators. I think it's done mostly for looks (to match the color of the original radiators), but I like the idea of protecting the radiator from corrosion. A little primer between the stainless steel mounting straps & the aluminum, at least, would be a good idea. There is a possibility that the proper flat black finish might make it a little more efficient also, but that might be offset by the possible insulating effect of the paint. I doubt that a thin coat would make much difference either way. I know that when radiator shops paint them, they use a very thin paint - I actually saw it being mixed with gasoline when I was a young guy. I might treat mine with Alodine (on the outside only) and then put on a thin coat of high temp engine paint. There are paints in rattle cans that are made specifically for radiators.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime