Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing Header Tank, Fuel and Vent lines-Hints, Tricks, Experience Welcome!

Default Changing Header Tank, Fuel and Vent lines-Hints, Tricks, Experience Welcome!

I will be updating my header tank, I will be changing out the plastic molded tank for the aluminum. in addition I will be changing out the fuel lines, the vent lines mostly in an effort to alleviate the fuel smell I get in the cabin. Any experience our thoughts, advice ect... is welcome.

I have a new aluminum tank purchased from Kitfox.
    -Remove old replace new in kind.

I currently have one fuel shutoff and one fuel filter each side from wing to Header tank.
    -Upgrade fuel line to same size but use fuel injection line(Non Vapor Permeable)
    -Eliminate the fuel shut offs (Only fuel shut off will be at console)

Vent line is Tygon tubing ran to one wing

-I have tried to follow the multiple AD's on the matter. Most of which are from
    earlier models 4 & 5 i think.
    -My vent line seems to have fuel in it?? its that ok or normal?? A little input in
    proper venting procedures would be nice. Though really it seems connect A-B
    -I do like to utilize a slip. I am a little unsure if fuel in the header vent is normal

Any other thoughts hints or tricks would be nice.

Default Re: Changing Header Tank, Fuel and Vent lines-Hints, Tricks, Experience Welcome!

I have a Kitfox 7 early version

Default Re: Changing Header Tank, Fuel and Vent lines-Hints, Tricks, Experience Welcome!

Yes, fuel in the vent line is normal. The fuel in that line will be at the same level as the fuel in the main feed lines from the tanks.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Jared,

Based on your post, I'd say you have it figured out. I think you will like the new tank and the non-permeable lines. We have no fuel odor in the cabin with the new setup (Aluminum tank and non permeable lines) - kinda stunk before I changed it.

You can slip to your heart's content. I have found that it is possible, with full fuel tanks and a maximum slip, to squirt a little fuel out the down wing fuel filler cap pitot and have it hit the tail in front ot the HS - but not a big problem.

Curious - do you have the manual trim? We do in our early S7.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

You mention removing two fuel filters from the tank supply lines. I just want to make sure you have a fuel filter somewhere in the system before the fuel enters the carb/engine.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

i was going to remove the two shut off valves. I think there is differing opinion on wether or not to leave the filters at that location. I don't see the harm plus you can visually see if your getting a lot of sediment out of the tank. I don't think they will add any odor. but changing them means fuel in the cockpit again. Maybe best to put them somewhere else. Any suggestions.

Yes I have the S7 with manual trim tab. I don't mind the arrangement though I believe it diminishes the elevator authority. I feel like I run out of elevator. I may want at some point to convert to the SS7 trim at some point.
    Kitfox 7-Flying
    ABW 26", T3, ABW 3200 Tailwheel
    Rotax 912ULS, Warp Drive Taper

You need to have at least one fuel filter somewhere in the system after the main fuel selector but before fuel goes into the engine. That is what I have in my plane and it is going to get inspected for the first time later this week (25 hrs since new).

If you wan't to keep the inline filters in the cabin I would suggest leaving the two shutoff valves installed so that you can remove the filters with out draining both tanks.

I personally didn't feel it was necessary to put extra filters in my plane. Some of the dirt and sediment will get caught in the header tank and the rest will get trapped in the fuel filter. Most of the stuff in the header tank will get removed when you sump the tank, but it would be prudent to remove and clean out the header tank at some point.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Gravity is the only means of flow from the wings to the header tank. IMO, putting a filter there is a mistake. Even one you can see through. When you can see its clogged doesn't keep the fuel flowing. You'd need to land and replace it, maybe not an easy thing to do.

The place for a filter is between the header and mechanical fuel pump. Be it a screen on a gascollator or a large, non-paper element inline filter., replaced annually. There is a non-serviceable screen in the mechanical pump on a 912. You should filter before this screen.

I do believe in shutoff valves for each wing. If you park on an incline this will keep from transferring fuel down hill, possibly overflowing. (Been there... ) These also help in maintenance if you need to work on the fuel system, you won't need to drain wingtanks.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

great advice guys thank you.

So in regards to the vent from the header, its ok to have fuel in the vent line... Check.

So it is also natural for one wing to have 2 gallons and the other 8 gallons. Do I worry when the one wings is empty and the other has 5 or six?? it is all running to the header, so..... No Worries??
    Kitfox 7-Flying
    ABW 26", T3, ABW 3200 Tailwheel
    Rotax 912ULS, Warp Drive Taper

Not OK...mandatory

Another way to look at it is if there is no fuel in the vent tube - it would be good to have a landing strip immediately available
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN