Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wait is Over

Default Re: The wait is over.

Another good day in the shop.
    Brake lines routed and attached to cylinders and clear brake fluid reservoir. A slight interuption in brake line completion as I decided I would like a parking brake in this aircraft. No more jumping out trying to get chocks down before the airplane rolls away or into another aircraft.
    My pre- landing checklist will now include an entry that says: "Don't land with parking brake actuated!"

Mounted parking brake valve to center counsol cover.

Installed battery "box" and master solenoid and starter solenoid for minimum wire run lengths. Pretty much copying how the factory lays out theirs. Drilling mounting holes through pretty stainless steel firewalls is kind of hard on drill bits.
    image.jpg

Made temp brakets for aluminum radiator placement.

Installed Rotax oil sump resivoir.

On a bit of a personal note. I'd like to say how blessed I am to be able to spend so much quality time building side by side with Desertfox1.
    He is in the shop just about evey moment I am, guiding, helping, telling great stories and making a day of aircraft building incredibly enjoyable. Sometimes we even force ourselves to put down the tools and go flying. Next weekend is a scheduled fly weekend plus lots of building still. Life is good.
    I think both of us feel real fortunate to be right next door to our friend Bill Prokes who stops in regularly to check on us or lend a hand or help solve a problem. Thanks guys.
    Until next weekend.
    DF4 out.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Good progress, and I like your comments on your helpers , great stuff
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Am enjoying your posts Fox4.
    I also have the parking brake installed and wouldn't be without it. Eliminates the need for chocks in many cases. I love the way Kitfox has you install it way forward on the center console. No way you can reach it in flight without undoing your shoulder belts-eliminates (nearly) the possibility of landing with it on. Much safer than a parking brake in a Cessna Skycatcher that had a Tee shaped handle just like the carb heat right next to it! Don't ask how I know.

I found drilling the stainless firewall was easiest by drilling a small, 1/8", hole first and then enlarging to size with a step drill. Easy on bits and very little burr.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks Kevin and Jim.

Jim, your tip on drilling stainless works. We did use that proceedure. It was hardest on the first small bit. The step drilling was very easy. We find slower drilling speeds worked best. Desertfox1 held a small 2x4 block on the backside of the firewall to protect it from damage from drill bit pressure and bit breakthrough. It made for beautiful holes with no firewall distortion.

Also looking forward to the convenience of the parking brake and the factory location makes perfect sense.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Wiring commences, fuel valve and parking brake installed. Brake lines all routed but not yet connected to parking brake so console cover can still be easily removed for wiring runs.

Decided to try the headphone jacks in the console this time. Usually place both sets behind the co-pilot for easy reach in-flight but found with oxygen tubing running from the baggage compartment on many of our flights, it might be easier in this new location. Less tangling with the O2 hoses and still be out of the way of the controls is my thinking. Will let you know in the future if that line of thought proves out.

IMG_7387.jpg

IMG_7388.jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Where did you get those jack brackets? After building my Zenith with jacks in the dash, I did my Kitfox and my new Ercoupe behind the co pilot. I didn't like the cords around my legs and lap. So far, the co pilot location works ok in the Ercoupe.

I hope I haven't gone the wrong way?

DF4
    Great idea for the headset jacks... Wish I had thought of it.
    Still digging that flight over the AZ desert. Best flight yet

Tahoe Tim
    These are avialable from AC Spruce. I used them for the rear seat pax on my 68 E33A. Recessed jacks look nice!
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Aircraft Spruce as Jeff said.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Link.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Mine didn't have the clamps so I pop-riveted them.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear