Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wing Strut Bearing

Default Re: Wing Strut Bearing

It might be worth calling the factory and seeing what the cost of a new lift strut is. This is one part that you can't afford to question the integrity and strength.

It may be possible to remove and weld a new rod end, again I would consult with the factory and see what they recommend.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

If I was going to repair rather than buy a new lift strut, I really like the idea of using that Aircraft Spruce threaded weld-in rod that Highwing linked to. Carefully cut out the old welded in plug and make a new one with a hole in it to fit the ACS piece and then weld this new assembly into the end of the strut.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    If I was going to repair rather than buy a new lift strut, I really like the idea of using that Aircraft Spruce threaded weld-in rod that Highwing linked to. Carefully cut out the old welded in plug and make a new one with a hole in it to fit the ACS piece and then weld this new assembly into the end of the strut.

How does that work, the biggest one I see listed only fits a 3/4 inch .035 tube I am guessing this guy has 7/8 .035 tubes.

I think what I would do is go with the original plan with modifications. I have a lathe, so that tool greatly influences my thinking. Find a friend or local machine shop and with a piece of 4130 rod, machine, drill and tap a plug that could be inserted into the lift strut after cutting out the existing fitting. By careful measurement and machining, a bit of the strut tube could be sacrificed for ease of removal of the existing threaded rod end and the plug machined to allow exact required dimensions for welding in place.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Thanks Guys.... after "listening" to all your "advice"...The strut is coming off, going to a machine shop to get the repair completed by replacing the plug and rod...back to original.

Cheers,
    Ackselle
    Ackselle
    Kitfox IV 1200 Classic C-GIKV
    29" Airstreaks, 11" Matco Tailwheel
    ROTAX 912, Hoffman HO-V352F CS Prop

TJay just to clarify my post: what I was trying to say was exactly what Highwing suggested-make a new plug to fit the lift strut ID, but instead of drilling and tapping just drill a smooth hole and use the weld-in ACS part.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    TJay just to clarify my post: what I was trying to say was exactly what Highwing suggested-make a new plug to fit the lift strut ID, but instead of drilling and tapping just drill a smooth hole and use the weld-in ACS part.
    ok that makes sense to me, does anyone know if these things are Mig or tig welded in.

I would guess mig

Default Re: Wing Strut Bearing kf 3 and 4 strust ends

I have a LE stud thats not in reliable condition as well all the rest are good! i was going to drill and tap depending how thick it ends up being inside the end of the tube. The trhreaded stud in the link looks ideal to drill the end and set it weld it in all the way around the tube end. but if there is enough meat in after drilling it out a stud with a jam nut should work. they say at leadt 5 threads in for it to be strong enough. $300 for entire new strut. but cant put a price on a life and being lift strut wellll it has to be done right! so i am in the same boat! one stud is bad! should be a way to fix this without major issues.??

Don't know what model aircraft you have but on a SS7 model the threads of the lift strut ends are M3 threads not the common depth threads, for the purpose of higher strength.