Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: condition inspection

Default condition inspection

also posted on avid site:

Ok guys I just got my Avid back from the first condition inspection its been through since I bought it last sept. All of the items I was worried about were a non issue and outside of a rad flush and cleaning up some very minor engine compartment items nothing else was in bad shape. YEAH ! Now for the reason of my post. I went to a rather big outfit at the Denton municipal airport in Texas. I should have asked price but didn't after looking on this site and avid/fox flyers I expected somewhere in the realm of 300-400 for the inspection and work would be on top of that. Well my bill was a flat rate $995 for the inspection (evidently a $300 discount) and $600 for the work done. I expected somewhere around $100 shop time actual was 109 but inspection was a flat fee. The actual A&P said he usually bills 1300 on LSA. My question does anyone know a shope within an hour of DFW metroplex area that might be closer $ to what I expected? Lesson learned I will ask $ next year just thought prices I saw here was pretty common. I am guessing look for small shops at airports but the internet is less forthcoming than I had hoped. It is almost as if A&P shops rely on word of mouth.

Default Re: condition inspection

Rainbow aviation in California posts a list of past students who qualify and posess inspection authority. a 400 dollar bill would surprise me.

I live in Lindsay, TX. I'm based at Freedom Field. There is a fellow there that does annual inspections. He is an A&P IA. I can ask him if he will do a condition inspection on an experimental. He has helped me out many times trouble shooting on my Waiex, and he helped me do my wing rigging on my Kitfox earlier this year. I'll let you know what he says.

John

That would be great John I fly out of my pasture about 7 miles east of Freedom field. Thanks

I will also check that company out and see if anyone is in the area,
    Thanks Guys for the help
    Mark

Steve Quinones he is an IA & A&P he works for United in Houston. Very reasonable you help with the work, & he will inspect & sign off. He works out of Mesquite Airport in Mesquite Texas. I've used him for my annuals for 8 years. I am not sure if he will travel, he lives in Forney, Texas, I believe. He only works weekends, but excellent. I don't know where you are Based but if you are interested send me a private Message & I can give you his phone number.

FYI, I am a Certified LSRM & iRMT, the only annuals an LSRM is allowed to sign off is SLSA and ELSA. An Experimental Amature Built that meets Light Sport Criteria has to be signed off by an A&P for the annual inspections .
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Remember also, check your Operating Limitations, the common requirement for condition inspections allows it to be done an A&P. Inspection Authority is not required. You can also save some $$ by doing an owner assisted inspection.

Ralph

Paul, remind me, if I deviate from the manual and don't build to the SLSA specifications I then have to register as EAB correct? I put Oratex on mine so I am required to register EAB correct. I always figured I would register it this way anyhow but just wondering if that is the difference.
    Eddie

Yes any homebuilt needs to be registered as a EAB. The only way you can get an ELSA is either purchase an SLSA and have the DAR change the registration to an ELSA. The other is to buy a Kit from a Manufacturer of SLSA, that is sells a kit as an ELSA Kit and build it exactly as the manufacturer specifies, same gauges, same radios, same configuration Tail Dragger, or Tricycle Gear etc. the only decision you get to make is effectively paint scheme & color, and interior color.

They are very restrictive on what is an ELSA. Also, a Light Sport Repairman can not sign off annuals on EAB LSA, they can work on them but they can't sign off tge Annuals. Light Sport Repairmen can only sign annuals off for ELSAs & SLSAs. That is what Carroll & Brian Carpenter of Rainbow Aviation taught us when I took the Light Sport Repairman certification classes in California.
    Last edited by Paul Z; 08-11-2017 at 08:26 AM.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

For clarification if it is a EAB Light Sport, that was built by a LSRM-A, and the LSRM-A applied for the Repairman Certificate he can sign off Annuals on that specific EAB. FYI, that is what Carol Carpenter at Rainbow Aviation in Corning California taught my class.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

the only way for a Kitfox to be an SLSA is for Kitfox to build it.

They do not have a kit under the SLSA rules.

David Kelm