Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Baggage bay ??

Default Baggage bay ??

I know Kitfox sells a baggage area kit............I'm just curious what others have done? Would really like to hear about other options and pictures if available. Thanks
    Brian

Default Re: Baggage bay ??

Zippered back with light fiberglass enclosure. You will be heavy up front with the o200 so you can afford a little extra back there. Good for fishing poles.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Here's what I did in the Mangy. Extended back to the elevator carrier bearing.

Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

This is the tip I picked up from site owner DF4. I installed the wood floor using light aluminum channel and glued dacron to the tubes in the area to make a firmer yet still pliable baggage area. I say pliable as this allowed me to move in my sleeping bag and knapsacks easily. I just got back from a trip across the prairies to Ontario and I had my emergency bag, tool, tie down bag, two knapsacks, headset bag, and a cooler to bring the Walleye home that I caught.
    I also placed a small plastic basket about 12X16X12 on the seat next to me. That allowed me to strap the seatbelt around it for security. It carried my days supply of Jerky, cookies and other snacks, water, cleaning towels and wax spray, (get the bugs off the windshield) my Canadian flight supplement, and any other little stuff I might use for the day. I will do a flight report with pictures soon.

You might notice an inspection ring in the back pilot side of the baggage compartment. That is to allow a fishing rod to go on short trips to a Rocky mountain fishing stream.

Bagage.jpg
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

Here's mine, put together after construction was complete. (Yes, lots of fun.) The structure's pop-rivited aluminum angle of various sizes. The rear bulkhead A frame extends down to pick up the frame tube junction in the bottom right and left. The vertical loads from the side channels and fore and aft floor channels and aft edge channel are all driven through the small angles in tension to the large vertical angles in compression, then down to the fuselage structure. In the front all loads distribute to the vertical fuselage tubes behind the seats, by way of the various angles and Adel clamps.

The bottom floor is 1/8" fiberglass honeycomb sandwich. The sides are all 1/8" corrugated plastic. (Not shown, sorry.) All held in place with velcro dots.

If you're interested I can dig deep for more pictures. The design loads were 40 pounds at 6g's.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Guy Buchanan
    San Diego, CA
    Deceased K-IV 1200 / 912uls / 70" Warp 3cs

gebuchanan@cox.net