Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flox ??

Default Re: Flox ??

Ok, I'll wait till I get some Flox, since I'm in CA and our temps have been the 90's

Brian

You may also want to try mixing a small test batch so that you can see how much flox you should add. In the case of flox and microballoons, a little does go a long way. Start with less than what you probably think you should add and go up from there until you get the consistency you want. Good luck.

Rick

Another source of Flox (cotton fibers). This is what I used.

Go Here!

As already mentioned, mix up as little as you can. The enemy of epoxy is a contained mass. Any significant blob of epoxy can generate enough heat for an accelerated cure. (Actually it can generate a lot more heat than that, enough to catch fire.) For large batches of Hysol we used to spread them on aluminum sheet after mixing to preclude exotherm. All you want to do is only mix what you can get on in the next 10 minutes, max. (Including flox mixing.) It doesn't hurt to mix multiple small batches if you use a gram scale to do the mixing. If you're using flox, do a quick 1 minute mix of the two parts then get the flox in and mix a couple more minutes. What you don't want to do is shorten pot life by mixing epoxy well, then mixing flox well, then goof around with the consistency while slowly adding flox, then start working on the part, all while the Hysol sits in a blob. If you want to be fastidious, add your flox by weight the first time. When you're happy with the consistency you can then mix future batches quickly.
    Guy Buchanan
    San Diego, CA
    Deceased K-IV 1200 / 912uls / 70" Warp 3cs

gebuchanan@cox.net

Brian, I'll send you some. This is not what it looks like. it is Flox, more than you'll need. send your address to my email I'll mail it tomorrow Maybe even today if I get your address soon enough. I will get a cup of coffee off you when I am in the neighborhood flying through enroute to Washington when my SS7 is finished.
    eddie.forward@yahoo.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Brian, I'll send you some. This is not what it looks like. it is Flox, more than you'll need. send your address to my email I'll mail it tomorrow Maybe even today if I get your address soon enough. I will get a cup of coffee off you when I am in the neighborhood flying through enroute to Washington when my SS7 is finished.
    eddie.forward@yahoo.com
    Thank You very much for your offer, but I've got some on it's way. Thanks again.
    Brian

When adding flox, think of the consistency of thick peanut butter to have a target in mind.

For some areas, it is useful to scoop the mixed Hysol into a small Zip-loc type bag, snip off a corner, and use it like a cake decorator to control the application. To make it easy to load the bag, drape it inside out over the top of a cup - red Solo of course!

Once the Hysol starts to cure, you can smooth and shape with a gloved finger, wet with alcohol. Some use butter knives or wooden tongue depressors - butter knives being cleanable.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    eddie.forward@yahoo.com
    Forgot to mention, I'll still buy that cup of coffee for you if you stop by Modesto airport or Oakdale Airport in central CA. Thanks again.

LOL. We will meet up with you some day. If this isn't done by next summer I will be sad. "we" meaning I and one of my boys who said they were going help build but don't. They assure me they will fly with me though.
    Eddie