Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ELT recommendations

Default Re: ELT recommendations

I sent an email to the builder last night about the elt. He told me one was installed at first, but he later removed it for his next build project. He included a photo which explained the odd, empty, mount bracket behind the baggage compartment. My question now is on the regs. It states that "new" installations must be with a 406mhz radio. If I put the same make and model elt back in the same bracket, does that still count as a "new" install?

I don't want to give the impression of being cavalier about safety, but here in western Indiana we are one big emergency landing field. I mean corn or beans by the square mile only separated by straight roads. But we have enough aviation around that a 121.5 beacon would be heard instantly.

As I understand it, 406mhz is recommended, but not mandatory yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Z View Post
    I would highly recommend putting in the remote ELT switch. If you have a non emergency hard landing you may be pressed to remove the fairing to reset the ELT. I had a bad landing in a cross wind and mine was behind the seat, it was a Pain in the rear trying to figure out the best way to open the baggage area to hit the reset switch.
    The ELT came with the remote switch and it's installed in my panel. I am currently working on the panel and electrical system wiring. I just need to add the G3X Touch display and GTR-200 Com to finish the panel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

In my other plane I bought the ELT with the handheld antenna option. I mounted it in the corner of my baggage area and accessible. If I crash and the main antenna gets damaged, I can snap on the little whip antenna and also carry the ELT with me in the event I decide to leave the plane and hike to a road. It's always better to stay with the plane but in Tahoe I might be forced to hike out. The remote is also a good idea and easy to install. It connects with a phone line!

I will do the same with my kitfox. I already have my ELT and am looking for a good spot to mount it where it is visible and accessible.

I really like having the antenna in the fin.

Jay,
    I still fly with a 121.5 unit. Similar reasoning to your's as I fly mainly in the flat farmlands of northern IL and southern WI. It would be likely impossible around these parts to make an off airport landing without someone calling the authorities. In addition, I use an Delorme inReach satellite tracker so my family can keep an eye on where I've gotten to. It also has an SOS button to summon help if I need it.

I'll probably upgrade my ELT to a 406 unit at some point if a good deal comes along on one with integral GPS (or if there's some other mandate to do so).
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

That's a good idea on the tracker unit. I like that idea. I received an email from the builder again tonight about the elt. He also agrees with my reasoning with re-installing the older elt. What really strikes me about his advice is that he was a passenger in a fatal accident about six months before I bought the airplane from him. He was flying with a friend when the prop had an issue. They came to earth between two houses and caught fire. No real need for an elt as the whole damn neighborhood called 911. When we came to look at his Kitfox, that was not for sale, he was still in a compression bandage on his arm. Seems to me, he knows what he's talking about. Out here, it's either corn, beans, or a house. The first two won't kill you, the third is gonna hurt. Hoosiers seem nosey, but they are not. They just look out for each other. And I love it. That's better than any radio any day.

This is an Ameri-King AK 450 (121 old style). It fits nicely in the tray behind the model 4 baggage sack. The AK 451 (406) is supposed to be a direct replacement using the same panel switch and wiring if you need to upgrade later...
    http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/...ameriking.html

I cut a slit in the baggage sack so I can stick my finger through to turn it off when trailering.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Thanks for the photo Tom. I have to go look at the photo the builder sent me. His elt looks like that, but longer. Could be camera angle. Does yours have what looks like a phone cable that goes to a panel switch?
    jay

This is what was installed before, and what I want to replace.

Your mounting tray is different too. Mine is welded with the fuselage. It may have been an option. I can't remember.

The cable looks like a phone cable. I was not sure so didn't want to cut or replace it. Mine is about 20 feet too long so I made a big coil under the seat. An A & P mechanic told me to try a phone cable end and if it fit it would work. I'm chicken to try that. Does anyone known fore sure?
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder