Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: clear doors

Default Re: clear doors.....NEW GUY HELLO!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by B767 View Post
    Hi guys....Great site!
    I have been lurking in the shadows for a few months here and finally am finding the time to post a message.
    I live in Calgary, Alberta, and just bought a Kitfox 4 with a brand new 912S in it. The previous owner has posted on this site several times and he was the one that re-engined it from a 912 to a 912S, as well as installing a whole new glass panel.
    I have owned 7 planes in the last 8 years so i tend to get bored fast. I just sold an RV 4.....so now its time to fly low and slow again! I am looking forward to some off airport stuff as well as gravel bar landings. The plane already has the bush gear on it, but will require some larger tires in the near future. I'm hoping that this plane will do me for several years!
    Anyway, I have hundreds of questions for the group and am happy to be aboard!!! This thread looked like a good starting point for me as I too want to upgrade to these doors, looks like a great way to go! My question is this:
    My doors already have the "bowed out" middle section that consists of the two cross brace tubes. I understand that you use the same frame with the clear doors??? If so, how would these doors give you an extra 3 inches on either side?
    Anyways....again, fantastic site!! Looking forward to lots of "chatting"

Cheers!!!!
    Wade
    I like to know why you didn't think an rv can be flown low and slow?

I also have the kitfox 4 like you do with the 912uls, I'm sure you won't be getting bored of that airplane, lots of fun.

Default Re: clear doors.....NEW GUY HELLO!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
    I like to know why you didn't think an rv can be flown low and slow?

I also have the kitfox 4 like you do with the 912uls, I'm sure you won't be getting bored of that airplane, lots of fun.

Good point! The RV was a great plane for flying low and slow as well. But not built for rough fields nor could it get airborne and land in less then 300'. I am going to miss having a true airspeed of 180mph though. I go fast from point A to B for a living, so I have gotten to a point in general aviation where it is much more enjoyable for me to go flying and have that "land almost anywhere" attitude.
    You probably need at least 2 or 3 planes to satisfy the whole spectrum (not gonna happen for me).

Default Re: clear doors

that's why I have an rv and a kitox

These are heavy and expensive but just look cool.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have them on my SLSA, and I concur they are cool. I would recommend using the black pan head screws like john does on the SLSAs you can't even tell they are there from a distance, and you don't need nearly as many as several people have put in. John also uses a very nice chrome plated dome headed nut on the inside of the door that make it a really clean installation. I think he uses about 12 to 14 total screws to install the bubble door. I must admit the bubble doors dive you a great view, and the extra 3 inches at the elbows make for a very comfortable ride. The upper left of the bottom picture shows the Domed Nuts
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by tommg13780 View Post
    These are heavy and expensive but just look cool.
    I was not excited by the "Heavy" especially on a IV and I can replace mine several times for the cost of the heavy. I didn't like the fiberglass center section so went with bent aluminum H channel.

What might be visually confusing in the lower door section is the seat pan without upholstery.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Welcome Wade. I think you found the right airplane. In my opinion, the best of the best - keep it light.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

So the pictures that you guys are showing, are these the same ones that Kifox is selling?
    How much heavier are they then the normal kit doors?

My door is on an SLSA built by the factory
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I have the bubble door frame. than clear lexan is on the top and bottom with a strip of fiberglass in the center where the controls for the doors are. I really like this cus it's light and I can see the wheels when I land. yup like that part. I never look out over the top when landing, nope, quit that long ago.

oh ya another thing. I think the lexan is .060 on the doors. makes em even lighter.