Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Covering question

Default Covering question

I'm about to start covering the wings on my IV speedster. I will be using
    Poly fibre system. My question is gluing the fabric to the last rib? Mine has removable wing tips, do you cover over the aluminum strips and nutplates
    And rap under? I don't think rib stitching is an option on that rib? Fabric
    Rivets? What did you guys do??
    Thanks. Mike

Default Re: Covering question

I wrapped the fabric around the rib, then riveted on the wing tip doubles. I then put finish tapes over the rivets.
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold :-(
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 built and flying and now on amphib floats!

I did the same. Better pictures tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

These pictures show more clearly the attachment of fabric before installing the aluminum wing tip retaining strip.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the responses, I thought that might be the better option,however
    On my wing the aluminum strips are glued and riveted to the rib already.
    I like putting the fabric under the strip.

Mr Bill.
    I am not ready to start covering, but I am trying to learn as much as poss before I start so here is the question. Just to clarify, fabric first, then tip mounting strip, then seam tape??

That is correct.

Thanks, another one for the notebook.

I covered mine with the strips on. Glue the fabric to the rib. Once dry I then cut about 6 cuts up to the rib edge. Then take an iron (I use a hobby iron here) and form the fabric down to the aluminum strip, this is helping to get a nice job on the 1/8th inch drop that you have before the strip. Once this looks good glue the fabric down onto the top of the aluminum strip. With a little work this lays down nice and doing it in the 6 or 7 pieces helps with making it easier. Once dry I then cut my remaining fabric so that when I glue it to the bottom side of the aluminum strip it has plenty of surface area. (I take it up to the rib). I then cut the fabric out where each anchor nut is located, heat the fabric so it forms around the aluminum strip, then glue the fabric down between each nut plate. All that is left to do is burn the holes out with a solder gun so the screw will attach.
    This allows you to finish this area just as you do the rest, and I always have felt like once the tips are attached this helps hold any fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I covered mine with the strips on. Glue the fabric to the rib. Once dry I then cut about 6 cuts up to the rib edge. Then take an iron (I use a hobby iron here) and form the fabric down to the aluminum strip, this is helping to get a nice job on the 1/8th inch drop that you have before the strip. Once this looks good glue the fabric down onto the top of the aluminum strip. With a little work this lays down nice and doing it in the 6 or 7 pieces helps with making it easier. Once dry I then cut my remaining fabric so that when I glue it to the bottom side of the aluminum strip it has plenty of surface area. (I take it up to the rib). I then cut the fabric out where each anchor nut is located, heat the fabric so it forms around the aluminum strip, then glue the fabric down between each nut plate. All that is left to do is burn the holes out with a solder gun so the screw will attach.
    This allows you to finish this area just as you do the rest, and I always have felt like once the tips are attached this helps hold any fabric.
    Thanks Bryan. That may be the way to go for mine,also looking at fabric rivets instead of rib stitching?? Thanks again. Mike