Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why did you choose a Kitfox?

Default Why did you choose a Kitfox?

I'm still in the researching phase of my aircraft building project.

I'm looking at Kitfox (among others) to fulfill some needs that I have:

1. Inexpensive to own/operate
    2. EASY folding wings (12' x 12' door)
    3. STOL capability (I have my own ~1000' grass/snow strip)
    4. History – Kitfoxes are a known thing, there are many flying examples

I'd like to know why you chose to build/buy/whatever a Kitfox airplane. Was there an extensive list of qualities that it filled in your application? What were some of your alternatives and why did a Kitfox work better for you?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Why did you choose a Kitfox?

I chose a Kitfox series 7, after examining 262 kits and plans online, for the following reasons:
    1.) Best combination of bush plane ( STOL ) and cruise/travel. 25 mph faster than Highlander with the same engine, Rotax 912S.
    2.) Most refined and improved design over 25 years.
    3.) Best safety record, 4,500 flying, never a structural failure.
    4.) Folding wings easily done.
    5.) Can be built by an inexperienced person with reasonable tools.
    Maurice

Your question is an important one. My own reasons and thought process are similar to the above posters but they haven't mentioned LSA compliance yet... that was a big one for me. Not that I need it now, I'm quite healthy and plan to stay that way, but I've seen friends get surprised by medical issues that don't impair their ability to fly other than legally.

Another reason that I don't think has been mentioned yet, and that I believe should be considered, is the company making the kits. Are they committed, doing business in a manner that is builder-friendly, and likely to be in it for the long haul?

The longwinded version of my personal reasoning can be found here.
    Randy Lervold
    TeamKitfox.com Admin Emeritus
    Day job: www.dynonavionics.com

Why did I choose the Kitfox?

When I was doing my searching, Skystar (company name then had the Classic IV and the Model 5.)

In comparison, I liked the people at Skystar as compared to Avid and Rans. (Talking to them at Sun and Fun for one or two years)

Word of mouth from people who had purchased with Skystar at that time.

I wanted folding wings (at the time, now I have an hangar)

I liked the possibility of engine choice at a later stage (well into the building process i went with the 912 UL)

I still think that the Classic IV is a very good looking aircraft style. I believe if Kitfox updated the basic IV style for the next generation of model it would sell well ( more speed, more gross etc.)

Good quality components.

Complete kit.

Many kits sold (established).

Did I say that I really liked the Classic IV style?

The New Kitfox company reminds me of the old Skystar.

Eric.

At age 61 and not having flown for 20 years, I also decided to look for LS. Although I did pass the medical, it was more involved than 20 years earlier, primarily as a result of blood pressure medications. I will let the class 3 expire and stick with the LS. I did not want to spend years on a project, just wanted to start flying again and just for fun, not function or transportation. I also wanted a traditional looking machine with a proven record. In my "start from scratch" research I came across the Kifox, liked what I saw and read, liked the price of completed 582 3's and 4's and liked the fact that there was wide, active ownership and a very supportive company backing the machines, both new and old. I should say that when I finally flew in one, it took some getting used to. My last previous flight had been in a B58 Baron and the little Kitfox felt like a kite. But I reminded myself what kind fo flying I now wanted to do and went ahead and purchased the plane. I am developing the new skill set to fly it well and enjoy it more every flight. (even though the last portion of the most recent flight could have been logged as glider time)

robin g

Robin,
    i better see an entry by itself in your logbook with something to the effect of ".02hrs glider time"!

regarding the question:
    the kitfox is a tried and tested plane. build it by the numbers and you will have a great machine. 55 hours now on mine (no thanks to the weather recently) and not a thing to change. stick to the manual, invest in a digital level and a little laser to line things up, and you will have a plane that flies hands-off. oh, and build it light. if you get bubble doors, you won't be tinkering with gadgets in the cockpit but will be enjoying the awesome visibility!
    told my fiance that i might put an ipod on her side so she could watch movies during x-country. she rejected that saying she enjoys the view too much.

build one!

Chose a Kitfox 5 Vixen because it qualifies for Light Sport, when that day comes for me.

It's a "real airplane" compared to some of the other LSAs out there.

My Kitfox flies like a dream... it's spunky, responsive and just plain fun to fly... just as advertised.

Knowing it came from a good home and had been well maintained played a part in the purchase decision.

I love my Kitfox!!

Followup Question:

Does anyone have a regret or dislike about their Kitfox?

On the Classic IV;
    I should have built the shorter wings. I didn't know what motor I was going to install while building the wings. Ended up with the 912 UL, plenty powerful for the short wing.
    The 32' long wing tends to glide a little much and is probably a little more upset with turbulence.

At some point in the future I will probably upgrade to the faster wing and a 912. The mod 3 with the 582 if fine for now as I get used to the tail wheel and a low inertia plane. But if finances permit, I want the 4 cycle and faster cruise.

robin g